Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Triumphant Return

Jane picked me up at the airport bless her.  I am invited to a 21st birthday bash.  Apparently 21st birthdays are big deal here, after that it is all downhill!  The weather is ugly, cold and rainy with a curtain of fog descending on the city.  I spend the day bucking up some wood and stacking it by the fence then I start working on the stone walkway to the basement.  Before I know it the ladies have all the party gear ready, it is Jane's good friend Tessa's daughter's birthday a blended family celebration and I am the interloper.  I volunteer to be the camera guy and float around taking picts most of the night.  Of course the party is located at yet another house on a hill.  I have never seen so many houses perched on hills in my life.  According to Jane most people wear running shoes to negotiate the steep inclines and change into their party shoes when they finally get to the house.  The party is fun, but I am tired, tomorrow I will be back in Martinborough to do some writing and of course biking.

The wknd is behind me, Sunday was declared a non-writing day. It is a dreary Martinborough Monday, dull and overcast, after all it is winter here what did I expect.  I head out to the bank to check on my dwindling finances.  The Akoroa trip was a little more costly than I expected so it will be a week of bike riding and writing, or so I think.  As I step out of the bank I run into good ole galloping gums. 

He has his arms crossed and is glaring at me.  "And where is your helmet?"  He inquires trying to look stern faced. 
"I know I'm supposed to wear it, but I'm thumbing my nose at the coppers."  I reply.
A impish grin lights up his face.  "I'm proud o' ya mate that's the way ta do it." 
Before he even takes a breath he launches into another bloody story.  I am trapped again only this time I convince him to go to the pub where I shout him a beer while he yammers away.  I drift off in the middle of the story and drink most of the small jug of beer.  Tomorrow I am invited to the Potter's (my hosts) for dinner.  I gaze around the pub while Tony talks it is fairly busy for an afternoon early in the week.  My molar aches and then the pain subsides, I choose to ignore it.  Tony finally winds down and I excuse myself we part company and I head back to the flat.  I feel tired and out of sorts.  I make myself a quick dinner on the hot plate and attempt to watch tv, with only two channels, one rather fuzzy, there is not much to watch so I catch up on some journaling.  I use a saline rinse to try and calm my throbbing tooth and down wash down a couple of pain killers with a glass of wine.  It is obvious my tooth will need some attention, I am unsure what to do there is no dentist in town the nearest toothenheimer is 20 k away.  Oh well tomorrow is another day I'll figure things out then.  Kiaora.

No comments:

Post a Comment